Thursday, August 25, 2011

Uh oh, Spaghettios.

I caved in at the last possible moment, and chose a terrible book. In my defence, it was in the "grown-up" section of the Aboite library, so naturally, I thought it would be a mature choice. It's called Read My Lips by Teri Brown. The librarian obviously made a mistake by putting it in the adult fiction section, because it's written just like Twilight. Even the little side note near the bottom of the front cover that says "She's got an eye for gossip" makes me cringe. I am a terrible person. Take a look.

The only thing that stands out about this book, is the fact that the main character is deaf and extremely self conscious of the hearing aids she has to wear 24/7, especially at school. After moving to a new high school, she is faced with the inevitable decision of which clique to join and how to get boys to notice her. Uh, yeah.

Along the way, she meets a devastatingly handsome young punk who happens to be adopted by her Aunt and Uncle, and lives close by. No incestuous relationship implied, although I did think that fact was slightly awkward as I read the book. Deaf girl and punk kid fall in love and blah blah blah they live happily forever after as a non-incest-committing couple, but of course, only after vanquishing the evil popular clique of their high school. You know the type, the barbie blond model thin girls with their hot pink lipstick and sadistic nature--that for some odd reason, all authors of "teenie-bopperish" books think exist. I've no idea where they came from. I mean, I see overly-tanned girls with bleached hair in the halls sometimes, cough, but nothing too barbie-ish. I'm serious though, I've really never met an evil barbie. Shallow, yes, but not evil.

So anyway, they vanquish the evil barbies and declare their love for one another. Fin. The last words of the book read like this:

(Deaf girl's POV) :

I tried to protest, but he dropped my hand and put his finger against my lips. "I'm sorry that I didn't listen to you. I'm sorry I didn't believe you. Serena..... I love you." My heart soared as I read his lips (cos she's deaf yo) I heard him loud and clear.

That was it. I gagged. Harsh, I know, but it was pretty bad. All 238 pages of it. I don't know why I kept reading it. Perhaps I was under the impression that would get better as I went on. Alas, no.

I suppose, to make up for my lack in judgement of choosing this book, I should choose another. And so I have. I hope it makes up for the lack of quotes and excess of negative opinions I have in this post. Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment