Saturday, August 20, 2011

First Time Blogger

Post Numero Uno. My supposed entry post into the world of blogging has officially made its appearance. I've never blogged before and I have absolutely no idea what I should talk about, so I just picked the first thing that came to mind. Here goes:

Today, I came across a man by the name of Friedrich Nietzsche. He's been dead for a hundred and eleven years. By word of Wikipedia, Nietzsche was a German philosopher, poet, and composer, whose "influence remains substantial within and beyond philosophy, notably in existentialism, nihilism, and post modernism." His words are unbelievable. Unbelievably insightful, that is. Nietzsche says things in ways that I've always known were true, but never really acknowledged them as he did. As I read his thoughts, I am astounded by how striking they are. He's simply so creatively insightful, it's ridiculous. Nietzsche pretty much hits everything he addresses, right smack dab on the nail. Here are some of his quotes that I love:


-"One has to pay dearly for immortality; one has to die several times while one is still alive."
I suppose Nietzsche means that the struggles and hardships we go through as humans are what makes us alive. Those who live forever in memory and in history books probably sacrificed their livelihood, their friends and family, or at least a sordid amount of time (hence the several deaths), which is what they are remembered for. Maybe he means that to only die the final death means that you had never lived at all? Maybe.

-"He who has a why to live, can bear almost any how."
At first I didn't understand. But then I said it out loud. Those who have a reason have a will. Clever.


-"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
I feel that if I comment on this one, I'm publicly admitting my lack of faith.... but I think he's spot on. If I had to walk through an insane asylum, and see people talking to their dead wives, crying out at invisible monsters, speaking incoherently, or just plain old screaming for no reason.... I'd start to wonder if perhaps God just doesn't want anything to do with them anymore, or if it's only the sun that shines up there.

-"What is it, is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's?"
Interesting. Insightful. But I can't for the life of me, answer that question.

-"Woman was God's second mistake."
Nietzsche is implying that man was God's first mistake. Huh. Perhaps humanity is a mistake in itself. I mean, we are the most violent creatures to inhabit the earth. We've killed our own, tortured our own, imprisoned our own, and wiped out thousands of species of animals and plant alike. And we cut down trees! What could possibly be worse than that? 

-"In heaven all the interesting people are missing."
I suppose Hitler's a pretty interesting guy. I imagine the angels were astonished when he didn't walk through those pearly gates. But I must confess-- I need to read Mein Kampf, because I would love to get into his head. I see Nietzsche's point.

*******These were the tip of the iceberg. He was a genius. It's a damn shame he went insane.



No comments:

Post a Comment