Monday, September 19, 2011

I tried being humble, but nevermind that now. [CLOSE READING]




I had to do it. I love 300. and Gerard Butler. I also think it's funny that it was set in a world of painted-on six packs. Ever since this movie, whenever someone asks, "what is this?" or questions something along those lines-- I have the insane urge to kick someone down a black hole and yell
THIS
 IS
SPARTAAAAH.
 But I've resigned to only do it in my head.




4 categories/words to look for in movie posters:
color scheme- dark? light? inbetween? what do they make you feel?
setting or environment it projects- inside or outside? a background?
wording- powerful words that draw the eye, that make a statement?
placement of characters or objects- does the placement affect the way you view the poster or your thoughts on it?

12 or more words (and phrases) to describe this 300 poster:
bloody
rage
anguish
determined
glorified
indifferent (wife)
emotionless (wife)
warrior
deadly
hostile
challenging
courageous
in the dead of night
warfare
bloodshed
angry
despairing
unsubmissive
exhilarating
foreboding
seductive (wife) quite possibly Gerard too
explosive
disturbed
furious
grim
harsh
loud
wrathful
threatening
electrifying

Claim:

        In this electrifying poster for the film 300, splashes of blood, open-mouthed screams of rage and anguish, and determined, hostile facial expressions,  deliver  impressive  feelings of wrath, exhilaration, and bloodshed that are sure to be felt in the heat of battle.


Until next time, this, is Spartaaah.

3 comments:

  1. Best. Sentence. Ever. I just thought that choosing 300 in the first place was incredibly awesome. Also, the description "in the dead of night" got that one song from Anastasia in my head. "In the dark of the night, evil will find you (ooh aah ooh!)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. . . Now I'm gonna walk around yelling "THIS IS SPARTAH!" anytime anyone says "what is this?"

    Thanks a lot. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This indeed IS SPARTAAAAA. It reminds me of that one MLIA entry:

    Student: This is madness!
    Teacher: No, this. IS. SPARTAAAAA!

    I like your use of the word 'electrifying, btw. Very fitting.

    ReplyDelete